Modern Rugs: Give Your Living Room a Focal Point!
September 30, 2022
A rug is more than just a piece of fabric you walk on; it can also be a work of art. They’re a great way to add color, texture, and pattern to any room. Modern rugs are often made with intricate designs and beautiful colors, making them a perfect way to add a touch of luxury to your home.
But if you’re not careful, a living room with too many colors and designs can make a room feel crowded, disorganized, or small. Adding a focal point to a room helps create a cohesive design style and a better flow for those entering the room.
If you’re looking for a way to create a more cohesive style, consider investing in a modern rug for the living room.
What is a Focal Point of a Room?
A focal point is a crucial element in interior design. It is the center of attention in a room and can help pull the design together. A well-chosen focal point can make a room feel more cohesive and complete. However, if not carefully selected, a focal point can look out of place in a high-traffic area or clash with the rest of the room.
When choosing a focal point, it is essential to consider the room’s overall design. The focal point should complement the other elements in the space and should not be too busy or overwhelming.
If you’re looking for a way to add a focal point to your living room, here are a few tips:
Highlight the Best Feature of the Room
One of the best ways to choose a focal point for your living room is to highlight the best feature of the space. Choosing a focal point of your room’s best features helps create an inviting and stylish feel. Some of the popular options include:
- Windows/outside views: Natural light and beautiful views can be a significant selling point for any room, and windows are vital in taking advantage of these features.
- Built-in shelving: Custom shelving can add storage space and architectural interest to a room. Placing beautiful or antique books, vases, pictures, and plants can draw the eye and add a personal touch to the room.
- Fireplaces: A fireplace can be a stunning focal point and is often the centerpiece of many living rooms. Not only do fireplaces provide a source of heat, but they also add a touch of elegance and rustic charm to any home.
- Unique angles/features: Unusual angles or architectural features can make a room feel more interesting and add character. If your living room has an unusual layout, consider using this to your advantage by choosing a focal point that highlights the space's unique shape or architectural design.
Create Your Own Focal Point
If you can’t find an existing feature to highlight, you can always create your own focal point simply by adding or adjusting elements you already have in your home. Here are a few ideas:
- Artwork: Hanging a piece of artwork is an easy shortcut for a focal point in a room. Choose a piece that complements the other elements in the space and ensure it is hung at eye level.
- Statement furniture: A piece of statement furniture can also serve as a focal point. Look for a piece that makes a bold visual statement and place it in a central location while not inhibiting the flow from entryways. The most apparent furniture focal point for a living room is a couch or set of chairs.
- Accent walls: Paint one wall in a bold color or use wallpaper to create an accent wall. This draws the eye and defines the space.
- Area rugs: Use a rug to zone an area or create contrast in the space. Look for a medium pile height rug with bold colors or patterns that catches the eye and makes a statement.
How to Create a Focal Point with a Rug?
There are many ways to create a focal point in a room, but one of the easiest methods is using a rug. Rugs are an easy way to add color, pattern, and texture to a space. They can help define a space and zone an area. When choosing a living room area rug, look for the following features:
Use a Bold Pattern
A bold pattern can be a great way to add visual interest to a room. Large prints and graphic designs are eye-catching and create a focal point in the space. Vivid colors also make a statement and brighten up any room.
When choosing a rug with a bold pattern, it is important to consider the space’s overall design. Too many patterns can be overwhelming, so it is essential to strike a balance. It is generally best to choose one or two bold prints for a room and use them sparingly.
Choose Interesting Textures
Another way to add interest to a space is to choose a rug with an interesting texture. This can be anything from a shag rug made of synthetic fibers to a hand-woven tapestry, the Kaleen Montage MTG03-02 Black Area Rug with its zigzag lines on a black base being one such example. A shaggy rug can add a casual, relaxed feel to a room, while a hand-woven tapestry adds elegance.
The texture is also a great way to add dimension to a space and can help to create a focal point. They can help to make a focal point in a room, drawing the eye to a particular area.
Place a Rug Under Focal Furniture
Furniture placement is an essential aspect of interior design. Carefully placing pieces can help to create a cohesive and stylish space. One way to highlight a specific piece of furniture is to place a rug under it.
With a little effort, you can easily use rugs to create a pulled-together look in your living or dining room. But use a stain-resistant high pile rug that can withstand wear and tear.
Match Your Rug to a Feature Wall
Consider matching your rug to an existing accent wall, or create one to highlight your rug further. This creates a cohesive design throughout the room and makes the accent wall the room’s focal point.
Why Do Rugs Make a Great Focal Point?
Rugs can add color, pattern, and texture to a space. They can also help to define a space and can be used to zone an area. The following factors make them a great focal point for any room:
When it comes to design, the texture is a crucial element to consider. It can add depth and interest to a space, and it can also help to define a particular style. Rugs made of natural fibers are a great way to add texture to a room.
A rug can help to ground a furniture arrangement, and it can also provide a pop of color or pattern. When choosing a rug, consider the overall style of the room.
Rugs are a great way to add warmth to a space. If you have a cold, bare floor, wool rugs can help to make the area feel cozier. The right rug can pull together the disparate elements of a room.
Rugs can also help to connect different elements in a space. If you have a rug that ties together the colors in your living room, it creates a cohesive design. Rugs can also help to anchor the furniture and make it a focal point in space.
When choosing a rug size, it is important to consider the size of the room and the existing color scheme. A rug that is too small will look out of place, while a rug that is too large may overwhelm the space.
Rug Goddess is an online provider of high-quality rugs. We offer a virtually unlimited selection of options, including color, shape, size, and brands. If you prefer, we can assist you with any custom-designed rug you may desire.
We offer exceptional prices on any of our rugs, including Persian, Moroccan style, Jute, and any other type of rug you may desire.
Many of our rugs have sample sizes available if you want to try them before you buy. We offer free shipping within the continental United States on orders over $49 for deliveries.
Contact us today and let The Rug Goddess experts help you find and place an order for that perfect rug to complement your home or office decor.